How Does ESP Work?
A combination of three major components makes this treatment protocol superior to competing electrical stimulation devices: Neuromuscular electrical stimulation + resistive swallowing exercises + postural strategies using the Restorative Posture Device (RPD). With this powerful trifecta, ESP achieves the following:
- Movement of the airway out of the food’s pathway
- Stimulation of fast-twitch, powerful muscle fibers to elicit motor contraction
- A 30-minute treatment time, providing 60, 72, or up to 90 swallowing attempts
- A safe, effortful swallow
- Decreased risk for aspiration